USA Flag Custom Question

Discussions on flags used in the Americas (South America, Central America, the Caribbean and North America)
Meinsauer

USA Flag Custom Question

Postby Meinsauer » 07 Sep 2011 12:23

Yesterday I was watching an episode of "King of the Hill", and noticed that in the county courthouse they had the USA flag hanging vertically on the wall, but with the blue field in the upper right corner, as if the flag were rotated clockwise 90 degrees. Now to me this makes sense, but for some reason, whoever wrote the flag "rules" stated that when hung vertically, the blue should be in the upper left corner, which looks backwards to me. Does anybody know the reason for wanting the blue in the upper left?

APS221

Re: USA Flag Custom Question

Postby APS221 » 03 Feb 2012 11:57

So it looks similar to the way it would look on crossed staffs.
If you imagine the flag as still attached to a staff/flagpole, then having the union on the left make sense.

mboro

Postby mboro » 04 Feb 2012 01:36

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/us-code.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.

Cheers 8-)

PS. See also: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/xf-vert.html
The rule is that when a flag is hung vertically the honour point (i.e., the top-left hand corner) should still be at the top-left. This means that most flags rotate 90 degrees and are then turned over. For example, the US flag has to be reversed to keep the canton in the top-left. The union flag just rotates, so as to keep the thick white stripe uppermost in the top-left corner. This all stems from heraldic practice, and basically mean creating new flags for many countries.
Graham Bartram, 8 August 1996

Check colours of Poland, Slovakia and Germany:

Image Image Image

GoldenWest

Postby GoldenWest » 06 Mar 2012 21:56

im sure the creators of king of the hill didnt pay attention as they are unaware of such protocol...

and why would you watch that show? lol

Max Mueller

Postby Max Mueller » 05 Jun 2017 18:54

Those are some pretty damn good looking flags you got there! If you're looking to get them printed try out www.the-flag-makers.com. They offer top shelf quality flags and they do that at an affordable price aswell!

Return to “Americas”