Flag Identification Please

Discussions on military insignia (for example squadron emblems).
MarBar

Flag Identification Please

Postby MarBar » 31 May 2015 10:56

Good Morning,

I've recently been given 2 flags and I really am not an expert in this fieild. I'm fairly savvy on military things but on flags I have no idea what they are.

One of the flags is a Royal Naval white Ensign, its huge, has brass hooks and ropes at the end and I think its dated in the 1980's. This was the time of the Falklands War and looking at the size of the flag, I would have thought it might have been on something big.

The other one is an American one but it comes in its own box with presentation folder and certificate, claiming/showing that it was flown at the Whitehouse on the request of a US Congressman.

Can anyone assist with any extra info please and also if they need to be insured or anything like that.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meiriongwril

Re: Flag Identification Please

Postby Meiriongwril » 18 Jun 2015 13:27

Hi there!
Unless you have provenance of the white ensign it's impossible to know whether it's worth anything. The size suggests it was flown at sea, the condition suggests it's not too old. Of course it could have flown over a land establishment as well. So, probably not worth insuring unless you have proof of it having flown over a particularly famous vessel.

As to the US flag, you'd need to check with a memorabilia company in the US. If that congressman was famous or notorious, it could be worth something by association. Otherwise, it'll be worth whatever flags are worth that are flown over the capitol (note: not the White House) at the request of a congressman (which I suspect is not much).

MarBar

Re: Flag Identification Please

Postby MarBar » 19 Jun 2015 18:29

Hi,
thank you very much for your reply, it's very much appreciated.
i shall have to do a bit more digging around I suppose, the Ensign is printed on one end and form that I can make out that it does say 1983 on it.

I shall see what else i can find out and I will keep you guys updated

Many thanks

Mark

Return to “Military Insignia”