Flags Forum

A forum dedicated to discussions on flags and heraldry.

Skip to content

Proposal for West Virginia

General discussions on flags and vexillology.

Proposal for West Virginia

Postby grendelsbayne on 09 Aug 2010 14:17

Here's a proposal for a new flag of West Virginia. Unfortunately, after living there twenty years plus extensive research into modern and historical symbols, I can't find any really unifying symbol for the state other than the state colors (blue and old gold) and the Cardinal (which doesn't combine well with blue and gold).

With that in mind, I decided to keep the white background and blue border, which is actually quite distinctive among state flags, and simplify the arms to blue crossed pick and hammer on a gold shield, symbolizing the labor and historical hardships of the state, especially the mining industry. Then I added two gold stars with blue fimbriation, symbolizing the state's pride and dedication to the Union.

westvirginia.gif

I'm not %100 happy with it and suggestions are welcome, but I'd say it definitely beats the pants off the current flag:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grendelsbayne
Netherlands

Re: Proposal for West Virginia

Postby vexilo on 09 Aug 2010 15:26

Hi. Great design. It would be hard not to be better than the state's current flag but nonetheless you have come up with a sound design. I agree that retaining the distinctive blue border makes perfect sense, the colour combination is bright, cheerful and relatively unusual. The stars may be deemed a trifle arbitrary but I think they are acceptable because their presence conveys an obvious Americaness about the design and I also think that they are attractively composed, the yellow, on blue on white is effective and eye-catching. I think the use of pick and hammer is also well thought out but my only real criticism would be the retention of the shield. I just don't think it's really necessary especially as its particular shape with detailed curlicues and so forth seems to add unhelpful complication to the flag. So my only suggestion would be to lose the shield altogether, thus;

wvg.jpg

wvg.gif

Alternatively, rather than so detailed a shield perhaps you could try a more regular "heater" shape or even perhaps a circle. Anyway just some thoughts and again well done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vexilo on 09 Aug 2010 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
vexilo
United Kingdom

Postby grendelsbayne on 09 Aug 2010 15:51

I don't think without shield is very good option - a lot of West Virginians might look at a freestanding hammer and pick and associate it with a hammer and sickle. Plus I rather liked having the extra bit of gold in the middle. I do think I'll play around with some other shield shapes and see how they look, though...
grendelsbayne
Netherlands

Postby vexilo on 09 Aug 2010 17:14

Having seen the idea in practice for a bit, I'm inclined to agree that the space does look a little empty and the extra touch of gold does balance the arrangement well. I look forward to seeing other variations.
vexilo
United Kingdom

Postby grendelsbayne on 10 Aug 2010 17:47

After playing around with different shapes for a while, here are the best looking alternatives (a straight, simple shield just didn't work - too heraldic to look right in a symbol for WV):
grendelsbayne
Netherlands

Postby grendelsbayne on 10 Aug 2010 17:48

And here's a fourth option with a simple circle design:
grendelsbayne
Netherlands

Postby vexilo on 10 Aug 2010 19:11

Nice work - I like number two. Number four, the circle, is also good but I think probably two works best.
vexilo
United Kingdom

Postby Marcus Wendel on 11 Aug 2010 10:31

I agree with vexilo, the second one is the best looking one.

/Marcus
Marcus Wendel
Forum Staff
Sweden

Postby Tyskaorden2 on 11 Aug 2010 10:31

I like the version in which there is no yellow background (Shield or Circle) to the blue "Hammers".
Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff
Sweden

Postby VoronX on 23 Aug 2010 22:16

I like the third of the simplified shields, except with thicker blue fimbriation instead of thin double-black. Also, I don't see why it's necessary to keep the stars at all. If one is worries about comparisons with Communism, a yellow five-pointed star (especially wth crossed workers tools) isn't the way to go (Vietnam, China). Without the stars, with a simple shield/hammer/pick design it is a very straightforward, uncluttered, distinctive and elegant design.
westvirginianew.gif
VoronX
United States

Next

Return to Flags and vexillology in general