Brazil coat of arms

Discussions on heraldry.
Leonardo Piccioni

Brazil coat of arms

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 14 Dec 2012 22:51

The first Brazilian coat of arms (1500-1816) contains a Brazilwood (that names Brazil) and a a Latin cross sable, in reference to first toponymies of Brazil, "Holy Cross' Island" (Ilha de Santa Cruz) and "True Cross' Land" (Terra de Vera Cruz).

The second Brazilian coat of arms (1816-1822) is azure an armillary sphere or. The armillary sphere was a symbol of Portuguese Empire, used principally in Brazil; it's still used in Portuguese flag and arms. In the absence of good depiction of it, I'll post a image by myself:
brasil-reinounido.png

The third Brazilian coat of arms was used during the Brazilian Empire (1822-1889) with small changes. It contains, in green field, an armillary sphere over an Order of Christ's cross (used in Brazil "discovery" expeditions), and a circle with one star to each province. The supporters are a coffee branch and a tobacco branch. After Republic declaration, a variant version is still used by Brazilian royal family.

The Republican emblem, used since 1889, isn't a coat of arms properly: it hasn't even a shield. It contains the Southern Cross, a national emblem, and a star to each state, over a star gironny in vert ("sinople" in original text) and or, bordered in red. The supporters are the same of previous emblem.

In a previous thread (http://flagsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1132), the user Smertios proposed a new coat of arms to Brazil:

It's better than current emblem, but it isn't heraldically a proper coat of arms.

My proposal is the following:
brasil-coat-of-arms.png

The current emblem was turned into a insignia, used as a charge in a blue field. The supporters are the same, and the red lace was kept as symbol of Brazilwood, used to produce red dye. The fimbriations or avoids the azure and the vert being touched.

For comparison, look at Brazilian aircraft roundel:

I'm current looking for a crest. I tested the armillary sphere, but I disliked the result.

Comments and sugestions are welcome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Sammy

Re: Brazil coat of arms

Postby Sammy » 16 Dec 2012 18:38

Very interesting design. I like the current Brazil coat of arms (or badge as it is not heraldically correct) and it was to some extent the inspiration of my Northern Ireland celtic cross badge from 23 OCTOBER 2012. Your design is interesting and this topic something I think I will also look into in my spare time.
I suggest a Helmet to put the crest on and a motto.
I would also suggest supporters but I am unsure about that, it might just be a European thing?

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 16 Dec 2012 20:25

Let me argument by parts:

1 - Helmet: In first moment, let's avoid everything that represents nobility or monarchy, because Brazil is now a republic. No helmets for now (maybe in the future, if really necessary...), and absolutely no crowns or coronets.

2 - Motto: I have no problems with it. The current national emblem utilizes the writings "República Federativa do Brasil" ["Federal Republic of Brazil"] and "15 de novembro de 1889" ["November 15th, 1889", although heraldry says it should be in numerical digits]. The current motto is "Ordem e Progresso" ["Order and Progress", also present is national flag], phrase with Positivist roots. But mottos use to be hardly read, so It's not priority now.

3 - Supporters: No, it's not an European thing. Look at Trinidad and Tobago and Namibia coats of arms, for examples:
Image Image

My previous design use "floral" supporters. With exception of Bahia or Sergipe, the other Brazilian states use wreaths or flags as supporters, or no supporter. The Brazilian heraldry isn't virtuous, however. If I could find a supporter that doesn't make Brazil looks like an irresponsible tropical paradise, I could use it. I think it's the case of USA: what symbols Hawaii and Alaska at same time? Open to suggestions!

04 - Crests/crowns: I was testing some crests:
a) A mullet gironny of ten vert and or (if you don't know what it is, I'll post an image: Came from the shield charge, looks good, but someway monotone.
mullet-gyronny.png

b) Half armillary sphere: Came from 1816-1822 coat of arms, and looks like a crown without being monarchic. The big question is: why just half armillary sphere?
esfera-armilar.png

c) Olive crown: It's republican and looks good. Look at Peru coat of arms, for example:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 16 Dec 2012 23:11

What is the shield design on the Brazil Football Confederation badge? I don't know if it has any national significance, but I based my design on it.
For the Crest I used the mullet gironny of ten vert but with a blue disc like the aircraft roundel and with the southern cross on it. It is also places inside an Olive Crown. The 27 stars form a cross like what they do on the Naval Jack and Vice President's flag. I decided to keep the coffee and tobacco branches as supporters (For now at-least.)
This is a work in progress, I might add or take away from it. My main concern is the cross design from the CBF badge, as I don't know what significance if any it has?

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 16 Dec 2012 23:59

I actually don't know the origin of the cross in CBF badge. I think there isn't none, if you look like how much the cross changed along the time. Verify the evolution.

The result is very good. Just three observations:
1- Can you put a torse without a helm? I've never seen something like this.
2- If you use the crown design, I think the lonely mullet could be the crest. The olive isn't needed anymore, because the space isn't empty, and the Southern Cross could be alluded by the cross in the shield.
3- You can't put azure (blue) on vert (green). Try to change the stars to argent (white) or or (yellow). Let's try to follow the rules.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 17 Dec 2012 00:27

It's what I was saying:
brasil-coat-of-arms1.png

Correction: Just now I perceived I used 21 stars, instead of 27. The naval jack has 21 stars, the number of states Brazil had when the Republic was proclaimed - Acre, Amapá, Rondônia and Roraima were territories, and Mato Grosso do Sul ad Tocantins hasn't secessed at the time. I suggest the use of 21 stars, actually, because, every time Brazil has an even number of states, the star scheme is prejudiced.
Last edited by Leonardo Piccioni on 17 Dec 2012 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 17 Dec 2012 16:16

Your Version is very good. :) I like it

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 17 Dec 2012 16:35

I am not sure if you can use a torse without a helm, I think you can as I have seen it done before. For example the coat of arms of Belfast, The Kingdom of Ireland, Wisconsin, Ontario and Leicestershire.
Examples below if you want to look at them
http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/cityhall/coatofarms.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Str%C ... ig._04.png
http://www.statereports.us/2010/07/wisconsin-coat-arms/
http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/en/explor ... _arms.aspx
http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/your_coun ... f_arms.htm
Of course there are also numerous examples without a torse, it works well without one and it looks OK with one. Its a matter of taste I think ;)

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 18 Dec 2012 22:00

What about a bird supporter? My first idea was to use the national bird of Brazil, however I found it difficult to work with :(
So I decided to use parrots instead. Rather than making Brazil look like
irresponsible tropical paradise
I think it reflects the natural heritage, beauty, history of Brazil :) although of course that does depend on how you may or may not interpret the symbolism, but that is the risk with every symbol.
I have added the motto, and the Southern Cross at the bottom, however I was also thinking it could be replaced with the armillary sphere design from the flag.
I also kept the old floral supporters (although they are less prominent) as I think it would be nice to retain the symbolism and history connected with them.
Of course the two supporters could change places?
Here are some pictures of the two designs.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 22 Dec 2012 18:53

Results are good. I prefer the last most. Some sympathetic observations:
  1. The Scottish motto isn't necessary.
  2. The correct format of date should be "15-11" and "1889".
  3. I can be wrong, but this parrot isn't Brazilian. Here's suggestions of birds:
    1. Great Egret (present in R$5 banknotes);
    2. Red-and-green Macaw (present in R$10 banknotes);
    3. Other Macaws: Blue-and-yellow Macaw and Hyacynth Macaw;
    4. Toco Toucan;
    5. Canary (not native, but associated with green and yellow colors, mainly in soccer jersey).

If I have time, I'll try to render the modifications.

Return to “Heraldry”