Flags Forum

A forum dedicated to discussions on flags and heraldry.

Skip to content

Prince Georges County, MD USA proposal

Discussions on non-geographical flags and flags used in fictional works.

Re: Prince Georges County, MD USA proposal

Postby vexilo on 04 Jul 2011 08:28

Vorononx - I think the colouring and arrangement would benefit from something additional in the first quarter. I'm thinking a local flower, a local topographical feature, a device symbolic of local industry, anything might work. The county was set up in the 1690s so it has several centuries of history and culture to draw from. The World's oldest continuously operating airport might be worthy of inclusion for instance - I'm thinking a silhouette of an early bi-plane or something similar.
vexilo
United Kingdom

Postby VoronX on 07 Oct 2011 21:07

@vexilo- I have a version with a biplane. Not the ideal sillouette, but the best I could find.
pg-county-proposal-3-biplane.png

I had, however, another idea, based on PG county's proximity to Washington DC. In this flag, the triangle represents DC, (or rather the void that DC cuts out of the county), and showcases the county's location. The cross is taken from the current flag. The vertical part is curved slightly to represent the beltway, while the horizontal portion can represent Rt.50, which leads to the state capital. (Or alternately, Rt 4, which leads to the County capital). So it makes a symbolic map, of sorts.
PGcounty2.gif

The five stars represent the 5 regions of the county: Upper (Laurel, College Park, et al.), Inner Beltway (Capitol Heights, et al.), Central (Upper Marlboro, et al.), Southern (Fort Washington, et al.) and the Rural Tier(extreme E and SE, Brandywine and surrounding area).

The colors and quarterly nature of the flag were picked to represent the state of Maryland,Image but note also that the 3 red stars (well 2 red and the counterchanged star) and two red lines refer to DC's flag.
Without further ado, here it is:
pg-county-mark3-d.png

I did a version with a Red triangle, and with a purple triangle, but this seems the simplest and most color-balanced.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VoronX
United States

Postby vexilo on 09 Oct 2011 18:50

Nice work Voronx.

I think this is a great design. I'm sure it would have some appeal for the citizens of this county.

as PGC1.gif

I also like this,

as PGC2.gif

it's very imaginative but perhaps a tad busy. Between the two I'd go for the first but it's certainly an eye-catching design.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vexilo
United Kingdom

Postby GoldenWest on 28 Nov 2011 05:35

i personally like the current flag with the St Georges Cross and Arms in the canton...
GoldenWest
Australia

Postby VoronX on 11 Jan 2012 17:42

But the arms are too small and complicated to be seen from a distance, and therefore do not make an effective recognizable charge, especially since without the arms, the flag is almost the same as that of England. In my opinion, it is best to never use arms on a flag, but if you do, such as todifferentiate between state and civil, it should be able to be removed without impacting the distinctiveness of the flag - for example, Spain uses it well, while Paraguay does not.
VoronX
United States

Postby Sammy on 28 Jun 2012 16:41

Going back to your first design VoronX with the cross splinting up the arms. I was reading a book about one of the many 17th Century battles in British and Irish history. In this book the author goes into detail describing the uniforms and colours of certain regiments. He mentions the colours of the 'Royal Regiment' as "the royal colours of St George's cross, and the arms of the four kingdoms, one in each corner." I've drawn up a quick design on how this must have looked and it is rather similar in design to your first proposal:
Sammy
United Kingdom

Previous

Return to Other flags