Changing the Australian Flag

Discussions on flags used in Oceania.
Sammy

Re: Changing the Australian Flag

Postby Sammy » 18 Jul 2012 17:42

I didn't know the Commonwealth/Federal star was a political symbol? I like the idea of the Commonwealth Star being on the State flag and not on the civil flag. I am unsure about the kangaroo. It is a brilliant Australian Symbol but I hesitate at displaying it on a flag, or the national flag at-least I feel the inclusion make it rather corporate looking, for example you can by Spanish flags with a bull on them, but these have no status and are for sports supporters. Although looking at you design it is really good I feel the Southern Cross fills the role that the Union Jack has on the current flag. The problem I see is finding something suitable to fill what space is left? Or alternatively you could leave it blank on the Civil flag and put the Commonwealth Star more towards the fly on the State flag? so the construction of the (Civil)flag is similar to that of China or the old Soviet Union, although I am unsure if Australians would like those comparisons? I have to say I am unsure wheter the later is the right choice but I do think if it was in use for a while it might grow on people, but again there are probably better alternatives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

26May1989

Postby 26May1989 » 19 Jul 2012 11:40

Just a quick note: the Commonwealth star is no more 'political' than the souther cross or any other symbol. The points simply represent each of the six states and the seventh is for the territories. Also the main objection to the kangaroo is that it's too much like a logo (e.g. Qantas) or a road sign!

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 19 Jul 2012 14:38

26May1989 wrote:The points simply represent each of the six states and the seventh is for the territories.

So it's a political symbol, isn't it? Not in the sense that it's partial to a political group, but because it shows an Australian political characteristic (the federalism). I'm not against it, so I put it on second flag, but it doesn't obey the principle I used on first flag: just symbols related to nature.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Smertios

Postby Smertios » 21 Jul 2012 18:19

Leonardo Piccioni wrote:So it's a political symbol, isn't it? Not in the sense that it's partial to a political group, but because it shows an Australian political characteristic (the federalism). I'm not against it, so I put it on second flag, but it doesn't obey the principle I used on first flag: just symbols related to nature.

Every symbol is political, in a way or another. A cross, for example, is a purely mathematical/geometric symbol. But it is used as a religious and political symbol. The crescent and star are two things found in nature. Yet there they are, symbolizing politics and religion in the Turkish and Tunisian flags, among others. The sunflower, which is part of nature, has been adopted by green parties as their symbol. The red rose, by social democrats. The flying bird was adopted by liberals. A red star, by communists etc.

I try to avoid political issues when designing flags as well, but it is pretty hard, because national symbols will always be or turn political at some point.

About the issue at hand, I'd say that most Australians feel the Commonwealth star is a less political symbol than the Southern Cross nowadays. The former represents federalism, certainly. But that meaning has lost its original meaning, I suppose, and now it is a symbol that represents Australian nationalism, only. When it was created, it was said that six of the arms represented the 6 states and the 7th represented all present and future territories, as well as any future state that might be formed. It's not like the star will ever change, in case new states are formed.

The Southern Cross, on the other hand, is a difficult issue. I think it is a great addition to the Australian flag as it is now, but many Australians feel that they prefer the Commonwealth star. Many who advocate a new flag are opposed to using the Southern Cross, precisely because it became a political symbol. In the past few decades, far right racists have adopted the southern cross as their own symbol. They tattoo the stars in their skin, pretty much like American fascists tattoo swastikas etc. That is why I made two versions of my last Australian design: one with the Southern Cross and one without it.

But it is hard running away from politics when designing symbol. Nationalism itself is political, if you think about it.

Viceland

Postby Viceland » 23 Jul 2012 23:47

Hi all from Canada, eh!?

Was looking at the Ausflag.com.au site, and I liked the whole reconciliation flag meaning and design and by Brandon Jones http://www.ausflag.com.au/reconciliation_flag.asp

Here`s my take on it; basically I reshaped and moved the boomerang so the red unifying colour now also symbolizes Uluru.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 29 Jul 2012 19:46

This is a clever design, well done.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 05 Aug 2012 20:50

I came across this on the internet, apparently it is used by the Australian football Association. I know it has a coat of arms on it. But I like it. Perhaps lose the 'AUSTRALIA' though

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 05 Aug 2012 21:49

I don't like this one - too many separate charges scattered over a single-coloured field, with no real coherent pattern. I also don't like monochrome coats of arms on flags, or anywhere except in black-and-white images or, perhaps, stylized on a logo.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 06 Aug 2012 08:09

Just come up with these, but I'm not quite sure whether I like them. They combine the colours of the existing national flag, the aborigines and the national colours of green and yellow.

australia4sm.gif

australia6sm.gif

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 06 Aug 2012 22:11

A slightly altered flag, together with some alternative naval, civil and air ensigns:

ausflags.gif

Return to “Oceania”